icon: Bill Belichick: New England Patriots


http://www.biography.com/imported/images/Biography/Images/Profiles/B/Bill-Belichick-20967651-1-402.jpg
http://www.totalprosports.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/large_belichick.jpg
This past weekend I got to watch one of the most incredible football games I have ever seen:  the New England Patriots v the Indianapolis Colts.  The Patriots won.  It was a game run almost entirely on the ground, with no touchdown passes by QB Tom Brady.  In addition, the team has been working around injuries all year, and yet, the team is able to keep reinventing itself around any problems that arise.  I cannot help but credit this creative footballing to Bill Belichick.  Growing up I was a New York Giants fan, where I became a fan of Belichick when he was defensive coordinator.  I followed him to the Cleveland Browns, the Patriots, the Jets, and finally the Patriots again.  I have been a Patriots fan ever since he took the job as head coach.  I remember the uproar over Brady's replacement  as quarterback over Drew Bledsoe.  I could tell even then, that Belichick was going to be a force to reckon with.  

At one point in time, I was living on Nantucket.  Every year, the the Nantucket Iron Teams Relay (formerly the Nantucket Iron Man) is held in June.  It is primarily a team event with six legs:  a 2.5 mile run, a mile paddle, a 3.5 mile run on the beach with a 20 lb pack on your back, a 1/2 mile swim, a 19 mile bike ride and a 6 mile run.  The year I did it solo, Belichick did too.  Wow, I thought, I respect this man.  He makes his team work really hard, but he works hard too.  I was so starry eyed that I was too shy to introduce myself.  It is one of my greatest regrets.  

And yes, he was wearing a cut off sweatshirt.  (no logo though)

This weekend, the Patriots are squaring off against the Denver Broncos for the AFC championship, and they are the 6 point underdogs.  A lot is being said about the rivalry between the two quarterbacks, but to me, this game is about Belichick and his football artistry.

I can't wait to see what he has up his sweatshirt sleeve.